Bibliophile's Reviews > If The Dead Rise Not

If The Dead Rise Not by Philip Kerr

422087
May 15, 10

bookshelves: nypl, 2010, germany, historical-fiction, mystery-and-suspense, fiction, own
Read on May 14, 2010

If the Dead Rise Not is the sixth of Philip Kerr's novels about an ex-Berlin detective named Bernie Gunther who is trying to navigate his way through a world of Nazis, ex-Nazis, and garden-variety nasties. Like the other novels, this one alternates between the "present" (in this case, Cuba in 1955) and the Nazi past (1934 in Berlin, as the Germans are trying to ensure that there will be no US boycott of the 1936 Olympic Games.) In typical fashion, Bernie runs afoul of the authorities wherever he is, proves irresistible to beautiful women, miscalculates his ability to get out of a jam, and yet still miraculously survives to fight another day. Although I can predict certain plot elements in all of these novels, they're still suspenseful and gripping, and Kerr is amazingly good at creating (or re-creating) the atmosphere of suspicion and fear that permeates the Berlin chapters. As with the other Gunther novels I've read recently, the sections set in Nazi Germany are better than the ones set in post-war, but as long as Kerr keeps writing these, I will keep reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If The Dead Rise Not.