Tasha's Reviews > I Need My Monster

I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: picture-books
Read in April, 2009

When Ethan checks under his bed, he finds a note from his monster:

Gone Fishing. Back in a week. –Gabe

Ethan needed a monster under his bed to sleep. He missed the ragged breathing, the sound of claws on the floor, and the green ooze. So Ethan taps on the floor and waits. A series of monsters appears, each one missing one of the important qualities Ethan needs. Finally, after rejecting his fourth monster, Gabe returns to fill Ethan’s sleep with his own special scariness.

This clever book could have been trite and contrived, but instead is filled with good humor and vivid monster characters. As one monster after another appears, they stay distinct and unique from one another. Each is visually different, but they also have different speech patterns, making them a treat to read aloud.

McWilliam’s illustrations done in pencil with digital acrylic paint are vivid and will appeal to fans of Pixar films since they have a similar quality. McWilliam uses interesting perspectives and demonstrates a lot of humor in his work. A perfect pairing with the text.

This book is ideal for pajama story times because the monsters are frightening but great fun. It reads aloud well and offers readers a great range of voices and sound effects. Appropriate for ages 4-6.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Need My Monster.