Terri's Reviews > There are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in the Other America

There are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz

Jul 02, 09

Read in July, 2009

This is the story of two brothers growing up in the projects in Chicago in the late 80's. It is tough reading at times because what they go through is scary, rough, & dangerous.

But, this book is so well researched. The author did a fantastic job of showing what it is really like to grow up below the poverty line in the slums of Chicago. How anyone could be expected to overcome this way of life is beyond me. I lived in the Detroit area for 8 years and observed some of what these people really go through. I know people who were raised in good, nurturing homes in middle class America who don't know how to get themselves out of difficult situations and make big changes. I can't imagine being raised in a rough area, seeing so much violence and need, and being able to rise above that and make big changes to get away from that life. It is terrifying!

In some places the writing became tedious because Kotlowitz did so much research and wrote so much background information. But, this was also good information to know. I do also wish, though, that there was more follow up on these boys. It's been 20 years since this book was written...where are they now?

I highly recommend this book if you can take difficult themes....!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There are No Children Here.

06/30/2009 page 266
82.35% "This is a well written, well researched book about growing up in the "projects" of Chicago. It truly makes you see what it is to be poor."

Lisa I have a copy of this book too if you want to borrow it. It's really interesting!