Tatiana's Reviews > Dead and Gone

Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris

May 13, 09

bookshelves: 2009, urban-fantasy
Read in May, 2009

It’s not the worst book ever written as some reviewers say, but it’s not that good either. Charlaine Harris failed to deliver what we all wanted to read about and over-delivered on what we didn’t really care for.

What I mean is most of us keep reading this series primarily to find out who Sookie finally settles with. No matter what team you were on – Eric, Bill, Quinn, Sam – you expected some kind of resolution, at least temporary, to her love life. We got none of it. There was so little development in Eric/Sookie (or for that matter Bill/Sookie and Quinn/Sookie) relationship, it was pitiful. Seriously, how many books will it take Eric to confess his love for Sookie? I simply don’t have this kind of patience.

What we got overloaded with was the entire fairy story line. The fairy “conflict” felt so forced and pointless! I thought it was manufactured just to create a dramatic violent stand-off which within the frame of Harris’s mythology could have been resolved with (literary) the help of a glass of lemonade! I am not sure why Charlaine chose this route instead of concentrating on much more interesting aspect of her mythology – coming out of were-animals.

There were some other things I didn’t really care for such as deaths of pregnant women or Sookie’s Christian musings.

After finishing the book, I felt like I was way too tired to follow this series any more because it was obvious that Charlaine was in it for the money only. I believe she will continue writing these books for years to come dangling Eric and Bill in front us to keep us interested. It is a little disheartening…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead and Gone.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

kari I'm sad to say that I agree with you. I think it's time to wrap the series up and give a resolution for Sookie's love life. Something tells me I'm not going to like it.

Tatiana I am afraid I won't really care 10 years down the line when it all is finally resolved.

kari Mee, too :(