Erik Graff's Reviews > The Canterbury Tales

bookshelves: literature
Recommended to Erik by: Mr. Silkowski
Recommended for: Anglo-Americans
Read in September, 1968, read count: 1

Before the beginning of each school year at Maine Township High School South we students had to go to pick up our books at the gymnasium ahead of time. Prior to the senior year I went alone and was very excited by the required texts. Having finished all my state requirements for graduation, I was only taking advanced placement courses and the texts were all college level.

One of them was Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the original, albeit with copious notes. The middle English was daunting, but, inspired, I endeavoured to read the thing before the start of classes. Fortunately, Mother, raised with Norwegian as her natal tongue and German as her language of instruction, found Chaucerian English pretty easy, so, with her help I was able to get through the text. (A lot of the problem of reading middle English is solved if you just learn to sound it out and then read it aloud).

Then, with the beginning of classes, we got into the Chaucer. One of the first things we were told was to buy a version of Canterbury Tales translated into modern English at the bookstore...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canterbury Tales.