Nightfalltwen's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Sep 10, 08

bookshelves: teen
Recommended for: someone in need of a good doorstop

//Very late review.//

The more I think about this series, the more I want to lessen my star rating for them. I read Twilight shortly after my epic disappointment in Halfblood Prince. I didn't hate it (at the time), in fact I raved about it. I was supremely happy that it had a story that kept me interested until the last page. I was ecstatic. Finally something better than the atrocity that was Halfblood Prince.

Since then I've reread Twilight a number of times. It's not the best book in the world. Meyer had a good idea (though a pox on her for using Google as a research tool. WTF man?) but unfortunately over the series it has been poorly executed. Twilight starts out alright, Bella is far too perfect with no real flaws but clumsiness. Which isn't a character flaw at all. It's merely a physical aspect of her (and suggests that she ought to see a doctor about her equilibrium).

I can say with confidence that you can recognise when an author has no strength in writing or practical training. Yes, JK Rowling started out as a welfare mom writing her book in a coffee shop, blah blah whatever... (I take issues with her skills as well, mind you) An English degree =/= comprehension in fiction writing. That is what a Writing degree is for. And no, I'm not talking about something that's offered as a side plate in the English department, but a full out WRITING major out of a Fine Arts department.

Meyer's writing is full of purple prose and far too many uses of words that could easily have been something better than what was chosen. Samuel Coleridge said about poetry that it was all the best words in the best order. The same applies to fiction. To anything. Unfortunately, Meyer hasn't learned this yet and I am disappointed that her editor hasn't learned it either.

The books do have lovely covers. But not much more going for them beyond that.

I do pity these books. They had such good potential. It's a shame the idea was left in the hands of someone so mediochre.

Edited to add: Working at a bookstore and being exposed to tweens and even adults who rave about this series has made my star rating go to the bottom for this whole series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth Hee. Yeah, it's funny, but I feel like the epic fail of Breaking Dawn has caused me to go back and look at the rest of the series with a more critical eye- especially since SMeyers has said the plot points in BD were there all along. Unfortunately, what I've found is that you're absolutely correct; her writing is mediocre, and the plot and characters are not well-developed at all.

In the FAQ for BD, she gives a wonderful backstory for Marcus, of the Volturi. I think, had she written that, she would have actually had a strong story using her type of vampires. Instead she did this t00by love story with little plot or plausibility. It's a shame.

It's all right, though, because ultimately it inspires me to tackle my own writing and look at it critically- she's a lesson in what *not* to do.

ETA: At least there's always "Xlormp", heh!