Lindsey Schwanke's Reviews > Officer Buckle & Gloria

Officer Buckle & Gloria by Peggy Rathmann

F_50x66
Apr 23, 09

Officer Buckle knows more safety tips than anyone in the town of Napville. He teaches and shares his safety tips with the children of Napville elementary school, but the problem is everyone in the entire school thinks he is just completely boring and no one ever pays attention to him. One day the police department buys a police dog named Gloria. Officer Buckle unaware that Gloria has her own and unique way of demonstrating safety tips, Officer Buckle takes her along to accompany him at Napville Elementary School. The way Gloria demonstrates and acts out the safety tips Officer Buckle reads and has everyone in Napville amazed. Everyone wants to hear Officer Buckle and soon schools all over town start booking him for him to come and speak at their school. The best part is Officer Buckle is clueless of why everyone wants to hear him speak until he is booked for an airing on National TV and watches the nightly news and see’s what Gloria does behind his back when he is not looking. After seeing the events he vows to give up his safety tips once and for all. Things are just not the same without Officer Buckle.

It has a fun cute storyline and it also teaches children the importance of recognizing problems and identifying solutions and skills that can help students develop awareness of themselves and their surroundings. It was a fun and catchy way of helping kids read, but also tying in an important message into the text and also the illustrations. I absolutely love this book! It is one of my favorites and I enjoyed reading it. I would recommend this to younger readers, but I think that anyone would enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Officer Buckle & Gloria.