Jennifer's Reviews > The Mystery of Grace

The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint

Apr 25, 09

bookshelves: adult-books
Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This book is typical of all of DeLint's work, in my opinion: great plot, pedestrian writing laden with stereotypes and cliches.

Tattooed gearhead hottie Grace is gunned down in a bodega and wakes up in a gray-lit version of her old 'hood. She comes to realize this limbo is the creation of a bruja who is keeping souls there for her own selfish purposes. Grace must find a way to defeat the witch, but matters are complicated when she falls head over heels for a man who's still in the land of the living.

Engaging, interesting, well paced plot. But DeLint's writing, while technically fine, is among the most tedious in the world. The man seems to go out of his way to be boring in his word choice, and his characters' dialogue is cliched and unspontaneous. His characters consistently state the obvious, just in case the reader isn't smart enough to understand up what's happening from the surrounding prose. I keep picking up DeLint's work because of the cool sounding plots and the pretty covers. But I continue to be disappointed every time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of Grace.