Robin Cicchetti's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Top marks for this chilling YA novel about life after a global disaster. Could NOT put this book down! Written as a diary, Miranda tells about her life as a high school sophomore, living with her two brothers, single Mom, and her attempts to maintain a relationship with her Dad and his second (and pregnant) wife. Just as the characters are established an event occurs that changes things from "life as we know it' to "life as we knew it".
An asteroid has hit the moon, alerting its orbit and setting off global tsunamis, earthquakes, and violent storms. Intense volcanic eruptions follow, blanketing the earth in ash that blocks the sun's light, and drops temperatures to sub-zero levels. Humanity is fighting for survival, and we follow the fight through Miranda's journal, which focuses on her daily life, and her family's struggle.
Great science and wonderful character development make this post-apocalyptic tale a must-read for YA fans. Great for advanced to reluctant readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

Robin Cicchetti I loved it, too. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stories. The Dead and the Gone is the sequel, but not a follow on. Both tell stories about the same event. Just as good, just as gripping. Pfeffer is a very impressive YA author.