Matt's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

M_50x66
Apr 24, 09

Read in April, 2009

I enjoyed reading this book. At the beginning it was quite boring like any other book, but after a few chapters I began to enjoy it and looked forward to reading it. Soon I was reading well beyond our assigned reading for English class and I finished the book well ahead of the required date. I did this as a sort of "investment": read a lot now, save time later (and not risk forgetting to read and failing quizzes...). But I definitely enjoyed it so it didn't really take any self discipline.

As for quality of writing and story, I would say it is an engaging overview of recent history in Afghanistan seen through the eyes of two suffering women. I liked this, but many people in my class did not. I think that the history is more interesting than the characters, though, so this was good.

I think the main reason to read this book is to see a depiction of Afghan history and society. Considering America is at war in Afghanistan, it is important for Americans to understand what Afghan society is like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.