Gemma's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

May 29, 09

bookshelves: supernatural
Read in May, 2009

I enjoyed this book even more than its predecessor, The Summoning. In fact, I picked it up at 1.15pm from my local library and finished it at 7.45pm, with just a short break to run my dog to the vet and make dinner.

This book picks up where the last left off: with Chloe and Rae captured by the Edison Group, and Simon and his foster-brother, Derek, still on the run. I really don't want to write any spoilers for this book so I'll just say that we learn a lot more about the Edison Group and what they have been intending for the children of Lyle House.

The best part of this book, though, was the character development. I was definitely captivated by all the characters after the first book but I really love what Armstrong has done with Chloe, Tori, and especially Derek. I don't usually 'ship' characters but if Chloe doesn't end up with Derek I might be forced to write a strongly worded letter. ;)

Once again, this ends on a cliff-hanger and the ending really did come too soon. That is probably my only complaint: I think the endings of both books feel a little too sudden, as if the full trilogy has already been written, and the books have been arbitrarily defined. Oh well. I can hardly wait for the next, and final, edition! I wish it wasn't a year away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.