Jason's Reviews > Homegrown Democrat: A Few Plain Thoughts from the Heart of America

Homegrown Democrat by Garrison Keillor

May 09, 09

Read in April, 2009

I am a fan of Garrison Keillor's radio show "A Prairie Home Companion" so I was excited when I noticed that this audiobook is read by the author. Much of the content is classic Garrison Keillor. He is endearing when he describes details of life in community, Midwestern values worked out in the circumstances of everyday life, simple pleasures, the thoughts associated with various life stages, etc. I agree with Keillor that there is a social contract within society that ought to be upheld, and that involves governments providing a wide variety of programs and services such as public transportation, paid fire departments and safety nets for hard times. And I agree that taxes are the necessary and worthwhile price we pay for important services. I want to see people behaving with a community spirit and with generosity, and do not appreciate it when people flaunt wealth and power or conduct their affairs with an air of superiority. I agree that the idea of the self made individual is a myth and that we owe much of whatever success we have in life to our families, society and broader civilization. That said, I think the book's negative characterizations of "Republicans" were too aggressive. (To what extent do the words "Republicans" and "Democrats" even represent meaningful categories?)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homegrown Democrat.