Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Children Just Like Me: Celebrations!

Children Just Like Me by Barnabas Kindersley

Apr 23, 2009

bookshelves: childrens, non-fiction, biography, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Read in June, 2009

This book is a good adjunct to the book Children Just Like Me, a book by the same team that created this one. This felt slightly less substantial than that book. It seemed to me that fewer children were profiled. I would have appreciated even more holidays described, although I guess I do think it’s good that the holidays featured are those that are considered happy and not somber ones.

If the reader is particularly interested in world holidays (various religious and secular) then this book is one to read. I do enjoy celebrating all holidays with children; for me that means doing so with all in a secular fashion. Celebrating holidays not our own helps us learn (in a fun way) about other cultures. So, I did like this UNICEF book. However, I’d advise reading Children Just Like Me before or after this book. They go really well together.

It annoyed me that because the authors were trying to get a variety of countries included that they assigned Halloween to Canada only (even though the U.S. was mentioned as also doing trick or treat for UNICEF) and that they featured only the United States for Thanksgiving (Canada at least has one too) and Christmas was given to Germany, and there are other examples. I’d rather that for each featured holiday, all countries that have some people celebrate it be listed, and then it would be fine that a child from only one of those countries is featured. Of course, since common holidays have different traditions depending on the country, I can understand why it was done this way.

I was most interested in the holidays I’d never heard of and there were many of those, but I also enjoyed seeing how they portrayed the holidays familiar to me. The details about the holidays: religious or other meaning, foods eaten, and other traditions are fun to read and view. Many photos are included.

The holidays are organized by season: holidays that take place in the spring, summer, fall, then winter. At the end of the book there’s a celebrations calendar with holidays listed in the month they’re celebrated. Holidays not featured in the book are also included; I would have been happier if they’d all had at least something written and photographed about them. Also, at the beginning of the book there’s a two page spread of Birthdays Around the World, showing photos of children and blurbs about their ages and birthdays but not too much about how those birthdays are celebrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children Just Like Me.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) We own the first book, so I'm eager to read this one, too.