Jacquelynn Luben's Reviews > The Outcast

The Outcast by Sadie Jones

Apr 26, 09

Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I thought this was very worthy of its place on the Orange shortlist.

Almost from the beginning, I was able to empathise with the main characters, and for me this is an important aspect of the book – any book.

It was impossible not to feel for Lewis – misunderstood and mistreated, not always deliberately – throughout the book, and to watch his downward spiral into self abuse, alcoholism and violence. I worried as the book progressed that there would be a very bleak ending and I was relieved and pleased that there was not.

Kit, too, was a great character; and her sister Tamsin was well-drawn – a flirt and a tease, but not really malicious. The portrayal of two dysfunctional families – dysfunctional in totally different ways was well done. I’m not sure I totally believed in Jeanie – the clichéd ‘tart with a heart’. It was a little bit difficult to imagine the appeal of this fourteen year old boy to all these older women, but obviously, Lewis was a stunner!

I felt really angry with Dicky Carmichael - and with Clare too, for her lack of moral courage, and I was glad they were appropriately punished – even though it was only by people failing to come to their lunch – and hopefully – a permanent cold shoulder.

I note that it all took place in Guildford – but actually, it could have been anywhere in the Home Counties. There was nothing specifically Guildfordian about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outcast.