Nightfalltwen's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Jan 17, 08

did not like it
bookshelves: children-9-12
Recommended for: no one

Well I decided to come back and actually put in a review for this book since all I'd done is give it a star and go on my merry little way.

Hated this book. Flat out, this book was the worst of the whole seven-book series.

I bought HBP the day it was released and I was very excited to read something new in the series. To my shock, I couldn't believe how bad the story was. Something happened to JKR's editor. I think perhaps foul play was involved because apparently the editor was completely absent. Someone forgot to tell Jo that her book kinda (no actually "really really") sucked.

I'm not speaking from a shipping aspect because in the grand scheme of things I don't care who ends up with who. But it was the writing that made baby Jesus cry. The complete and utter abysmal writing. The rate of revelation in this book was appalling. The plot basically sucked and the use of flashback was overdone. The ENTIRE book was a "tell" and not a "show". Cardinal rule of writing. SHOW DON'T TELL.

JKR should have gotten some writing lessons before she wrote this one. Someone should have told her on the rough draft read-through that this was bad. Someone should have forced her to stay away from schmoopy romance because GAG.

What a complete stinker.

***************

02/22/12 - four-ish years later and although I still dislike this book, my opinion has mellowed. It's an amazing series, but this is my least favourite. I'm not editing the review as my opinion four years ago is still just as valid.

carry on
46 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

02/20 marked as: read

ryan mattingly You are literally the only person who has ever thought that this book was worse than Order of the Phoenix. It's actually my favorite in the series, pending the last one. So surprised at this review, shocked.