Coco's Reviews > No More Dead Dogs

No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman

Apr 23, 09

bookshelves: laughs, young-adult-kids, fiction
Read in April, 2009

This book was the answer to a dog-lover's prayers. As a child, my parents banned me from watching Lassie, even though the dog always survived. I still started sobbing, long before the end rolled around. Books like Old Yeller were my undoing in school and now, as a parent, I've had to struggle with my son's issues over animal's pain and suffering in the name of award-winning books. Well this book comes to the rescue. My sister and her teacher friend tracked it down for us and my son and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Based on a character, Wallace Wallace, who will not lie, it confronts the whole "Kill a dog, earn a Peabody Award" school of thought. A middle school football player, Wallace, writes a critical review of the drama teacher's "pet" book, "Old Shep, My Pal," and earns detention for it. This book also becomes a good discussion point for freedom of the press, if your child is so inclined. Korman adds plenty of humor and keeps the plot moving along. Both my son and I enjoyed it. Of course, the best part (no spoiler alert necessary) was knowing the dog didn't die.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No More Dead Dogs.