Jeffrey Cohan's Reviews > The Sexual Politics of Meat: A Feminist-Vegetarian Critical Theory

The Sexual Politics of Meat by Carol J. Adams

Feb 15, 13

bookshelves: vegetarianism
Read in February, 2013

It’s hard not to feel ambivalent – strongly ambivalent – about this book.

Unless you’re a student, or teacher, of feminist literature, it is somewhat of a slog to get through this book. “The Sexual Politics of Meat” is mainly an analysis of feminist literature and most of the works to which Adams refers will seem obscure to the average reader.

On the other hand, this book is considered a classic in the veg*n genre and for good reason. Adams artfully conveys a number of important ideas, chief among them that meat-eating is strongly interrelated to other forms of oppression.

As she puts it, “Meat eating is to animals what white racism is to people of color, anti-Semitism is to Jewish people, homophobia is to gay men and lesbians, and woman hating is to women. All are oppressed by a culture that does not want to assimilate them fully on their grounds and with rights.”

Amen to that.

As a Jew, it is upsetting to me that most of my co-religionists do not see the obvious parallels between the oppression and exploitation of animals, which is inherent in meat-eating, and the oppression and exploitation of Jews throughout almost all of our history.

And although I’m a male, I’m disappointed that the feminist movement largely ignores the exploitation of female organs in the dairy and egg industries.

Adams gives voice to these concerns, particularly the latter one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sexual Politics of Meat.