Susan's Reviews > An Incomplete Revenge

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear

Apr 23, 09

bookshelves: mysteries, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009

With apologies, I won't be reading any more books in this series, for despite their convincing post-World-War-1 details, if this is a good example, the Maisie Dobbs mysteries are too predictable, tidy and moralistic for my taste. When I grow up, if ever I do, I probably won't be able to hold myself to Maisie's humane yet perfectionistic standards.

With her life blighted by the Great War this thirty-ish psychologist whose work habits must mirror the successful author's own finds satisfaction unraveling mysteries as a personal investigator, hanging out with her groom father, and, even at her wits' end, being a steadfast friend. In AN INCOMPLETE REVENGE Maisie Dobbs makes the connection between a Zeppelin attack and fires set in a small Kentish village at the hopps harvest each year. A final and tongue-in-cheek example of excessive tidying up is the female reporter enamored enough of Maisie's story that she writes a ripping novel about it.

More to my taste is the grittiness of Roseanna, an early mystery in the series Polemical Pulps: The Martin Beck Novels of Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Incomplete Revenge.