Heather's Reviews > The Shack

Apr 22, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: not-my-typical-cup-of-tea
Read in December, 2008

from the power of language to the theology of pain, everything in this book is oversimplified.

i did think presenting god as a female black woman, jesus as a homely jewish man, and the spirit as an asian female/irridescent power/gardener showed necessary wisdom. it is by no means creative, only a (once again simple) expression of an obvious possibility. still, i forget some people do not think of possibilities, and that's why i appreciate that young presents god as free from physical or racial barriers.

one theme that interested me - the idea that humans do not need hierarchy. i agree, and many more articulate people have written of the idea. gods are created in our heads, so it helps to acknowledge our own power of creation, which young doesn't seem too interested in considering.

there is nearly nothing fresh or new in this book, and the writing is often atrocious. still i find myself thinking of the freezing rain described in the beginning, in beloved Portland, Oregon, and the image of a father overwhelmed by the pain of losing a child watching his deceased daughter play behind a waterfall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.