Rainey's Reviews > The Veil and the Male Elite: A Feminist Interpretation of Women's Rights in Islam

The Veil and the Male Elite by Fatema Mernissi

1995915
May 14, 09

okay, confession time: two chapters in, and I can honestly say there's no chance I'm every going to finish this book. It has poetic moments, numerous cultural insights and phenomenal scholarship - so why do I hate reading it?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Veil and the Male Elite.

Keely Hyslop Because it goes into painful detail on a subject that doesn't really interest you. I probably am enjoying it more because I have a soft spot for religious scholarship, though even I am cringing in places. For instance on the question of marital rape I don't give a flyin' f*** what the Koran or any other religious text says on the subject. There are some issues upon which I simply don't have it in me to be morally relativist.

Angela Yes, yes, but..

No, really, I initially had the same reaction through the introduction and chapter 1, but when the actual history started in chapter 2 I started to enjoy it a little bit more.

Personally, I'm more interested in modern Muslim culture than theology, but I found the history of early Islam useful to know. But I heartily recommend that anyone picking this up skip to at LEAST the second chapter.