Josiah's Reviews > Thimble Summer

Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright

1914201
Apr 22, 09

One unusual thing about this book is the fact that the author describes some stories that are told in great detail by the characters, allowing the full ambience of life in the country during the time periods represented to stand tall in all its flavor. This is something that I liked quite a bit, as detailed stories from all ways of life (especially ones that date back to older times) really appeal to me.
Elizabeth Enright has done a very good job in the writing of this Newbery Medal winner, bringing a satisfying close to the 1930's as one of my favorite decades in Newbery history (in my thinking featuring in particular "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years", "Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author of Little Women", and "Roller Skates"). The rural atmosphere works beautifully for the narrative, and the way that Garnet's feelings and thoughts are engineered seems very real, and can be identified with cleary and easily. Her emotions, and the responses that these feelings and their resulting actions trigger in the other characters, ring completely true, and settle deep down in the reader's memory and heart.
I fondly recommend this book to all.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thimble Summer.