drey's Reviews > Sag Harbor

Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead

May 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009-reads, fiction-contemporary, did-not-finish

Sag Harbor was my first B&N First Look book club books. I have been very remiss in my club "duties". While I dutifully read each chapter on the assigned week, I did not really participate in the discussions as much as I want to.

I've only made it through 2/3 of the book. I think I lost interest with the slower reading pace of the book club. And while I kept meaning to, I never picked it up again. So, this review's based on a partial read.

Sag Harbor follows Benji and his brother Reggie on their annual summer escape, in 1985. This coming-of-age novel reveals the nuances of summer life for these African-American high-schoolers, who're trying to maintain social relationships with people they only see for those short few months. From the start of summer, where they try to find out who's made it out to Sag Harbor, to negotiating social rank with their compatriots, to the first job, Sag Harbor is a poignant story of the angst of growing up, fitting in, and finally, growing up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sag Harbor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen I also got it from FIRST LOOK. I liked it at first but as I just told Shelly, if I don't get into it by 1/3 of the way through, I leave it...life is too short.I used to torture myself to finish every book I started..no more! Too many books out there I will like to do that! Good for you!