Frank's Reviews > The Emerald City of Oz

The Emerald City of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Apr 22, 09

I liked this one. Aunt Em and Uncle Henry come to Oz to live and Dorothy also to stay this time. Oz is attacked. I think Baum intended this to be the last book, He stated in the prior book the next one would be the last one and in this one Dorothy sends him a note and says that will be the last note from them. Glenda the good makes Oz invisible and so no one can communicate with it from now on. It will be interesting to see what happens in book 7. Baum really comes up with lots of strange characters in this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emerald City of Oz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli How funny. I wonder how he gets around his set up for it being the last one. :) I'm excited to read those eventually.

Frank He is constantly trying to kill these books and yet the kids keep after him for more so will see how he gets around this. This book I could detect some real teaching being added for kids yet in a nice way so it wasn't preachy. He hasa wild imagination.

message 3: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Interesting. HOw funny that he didn't want to write any more but kinda had to keep going. :)

Frank I think he got better with each book; so far. Except the ones without Dorothy didn't seem as good.

message 5: by Kelli (new)

Kelli I can't picture Oz without Dorothy. I'm sure that's why not very many did that. :)

Frank I forgot to mention that the Wizard of Oz returned to Oz with Dorothy on one of her return trips and he stayed there. In this book he was a real wizard and could perform real magic as taught to him by the witch Glenda the Good. Sort of a nice touch.

message 7: by Kelli (new)

Kelli I like that. SHould have done that in the first one. :)

Frank I was just checking and I find 15 books of Oz plus some other stuff about oz like Little Wizard Tales. Book seven is Patchwork Girl of Oz and I am having trouble finding it. Searching for it now. I know I have it somewhere.

Frank Frank Baum must have written over 50 books for kids. I have close to that and so don't know what his total was. Some look interesting. I found out I'm missing 4 in the series and 7 is one the others are the last three. Will have to see if I can get it at the library.