Jenn's Reviews > Wetlands

Wetlands by Charlotte Roche

May 06, 09

bookshelves: books-owned, 2009-reads
Read in May, 2009

This was one of the most grotesque and shocking books I think I've ever read. Regardless, I couldn't look away. I never really personally understood the whole "people can never look away from a train wreck" idea, but now I do. I just couldn't put this down.

It's about an 18 year old girl who, after seriously injuring her ass (I won't go into detail), is in the hospital awaiting surgery. She is supremely bored and in an effort to amuse herself, she recalls some past sexual and personal experiences. She travels the whole subject, ranging from her thoughts on tampons (she will never use them and instead shoves toilet paper up there) to anal sex (she is a big fan).

You know, maybe some day I'll read it again. Who knows. I actually really did enjoy it, which is a little embarrassing to admit. It was funny and serious and shocking all at the same time.

I seriously do worry about the author though. She must be a real nutcase to be able to come up with this stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wetlands.

04/26/2009 page 100
48.08% "Wow, lol. I've read the first 100 pages twice already (once to myself, once to someone else), and it definitely kept it's "shock" value."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghann (last edited Apr 27, 2009 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meghann I just got done reading that, it is definitely a shocker and at times I found myself cracking up, completely disgusted, and interested.

Jenn lol, definitely. It's very similar to a car crash. You want to look away, but you just can't :)