Angela Campbell's Reviews > Journey of Awakening

Journey of Awakening by Shawna Thomas

Feb 14, 13

Read in February, 2013

After her grandfather's death, Sara inherits an ancient pendant that holds a mysterious source of magic. Sara is a Shi'ia warrior and healer and must find the other two stones of power, long considered lost, while protecting the first one. This begins her journey, which she starts alone until she meets Zeynel, an older man who is the last Shamyrddinenki, keepers of life and nature. Together they search out the keepers of the stones, but instead come across members of the Heleini tribe. Sara is attracted to its Akier or leader, Tobar, but naïve when it comes to men and uncertain because he already has other wives. When Tobar's son is kidnapped by a rival tribe, Sara uses the stone and its magic to rescue the boy.

This book hooked me from the beginning, mainly because Sara is such an interesting character. She's both smart but naïve in many ways, and I really enjoyed her interaction with Zeynel, who becomes a fatherly or grandfatherly figure as he teaches her to harness her untapped abilities. I was a little bothered by Sara's relationship with Tobar because I don't get the whole concubine, multiple spouse thing but that's just a personal preference and it might not bother other readers. The author does a good job at trying to help Sara overcome her prejudices to the culture difference and show that just because a custom is different doesn't mean it's wrong. The ending was both sad and uplifting as Sara transforms into a legend known as The Wanderer.

I can't wait for Book 2 to see where her journey takes her next, and whether or not her unknown enemy manages to obtain the stones or not.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey of Awakening.