M—'s Reviews > The Thief Lord

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

May 18, 09

bookshelves: reviewed

I'm not sure what it is about Funke's writing, but I just cannot enjoy her books. This is the second one I've tried, after first reading Dragon Rider, and they were both, oh, somehow both sugary and bland.

I'm all about applauding the kids in The Thief Lord getting the drop on the adults, which they do constantly, but they pulled off their clever tricks so very easily. I never got the feeling that, you know, actual danger might be lurking around the corner. Dramatic acts were all candy sweet, and characterization had been bypassed for caricatures. Even a hundred pages into the story I really couldn't care about what was going on, which is either a fault of of the plot in being uninteresting or a fault of characters for not fostering my investment in them.

I still keep hearing recommendations for Inkheart, but I'm really not sure if I'll ever actually pick that book up. Yes, its story sounds interesting, but these other two were so disappointing that I'm very hesitant to even give it a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief Lord.