Talkswithwind's Reviews > The Wee Free Men

U 50x66
Aug 30, 07

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in July, 2006

I first 'read' this book in audiobook form while driving between states in July of 2006.

This is the first of now three books featuring Tiffany Aching and the NacMacFeegles (also known as the Wee Free Men). The other two, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith, follow Tiffany as she grows up. This is a Diskworld book, even though very few of the standard character show up.

This is the first Pratchett book I've read that had chapters in it. His other stuff is rather famous for not dividing the story into chapters and just jumping from point-of-view to point-of-view. The move is jarring from and expectation standpoint, but I adapted very quickly.

Tiffany is 9. She is the 7th daughter, and used to be the youngest until her brother Wentworth was born. Over the course of the book, she runs into a Faerie Incursion (not Elves, as in Lords and Ladies), a Baron's son, and other witches. All the while being tailed by the Wee Free Men, who are quite adept at hitting things, and due to their exile from Faerie area knowledge.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men.