Sonic's Reviews > Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope

Alan's War by Emmanuel Guibert

May 04, 09

Read in May, 2009

Deeply touching, yet lightly told memoir of a young G.I.s life centered around and influenced by WW II. The words of Alan Cope are sincere, funny and revealing. The black and white illustration by Emmanuel Guibert is simply perfect in terms of pacing, composition and emphasis. Before I started reading I grimaced at the black and white renderings (simply because I love color,) but matched with the actual words of Copes reminiscences it is indeed a perfect marriage! And I came to love the illustration. Alan Copes words revealed more and more depth as the story went on as well. "I had continued my process of reflection since my time in the Palatinate, and I had grown up a lot. I've become more and more opposed to the civilization I lived in, despite being quite fond of many of it's aspects. At the same time, I'd realized I was messing up my existence and that the human race was messing up it's own too- and for pretty much the same reasons: failing to make the most of it's intelligence and creativity; overcrowding by too many dogmas, false values, and wrong thinking; a kind of psychic illness that affects the human race and prevents people from knowing what to do with their lives; disastrous habits; an appalling waste of the earth's resources. An inability caused by self-obsession, to open up to the true spirituality of existence."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alan's War.