Ian's Reviews > Philosophical Investigations

Philosophical Investigations by Ludwig Wittgenstein

Aug 30, 07

Read in January, 2000

Embodies a philosophical strategy for approaching our cognitive capacities and the world they bring us with humility and gratitude--but with a constant awareness that we cannot step outside of those capacities and the normative patterns of living which structure them. We have no authoritative perspective on ourselves or on language. The work of reason, and indeed, the work of ethics, is to renounce the metaphysical lures which we find in our language, to live “without fear and without hope,” but with a profound sense of responsibility and religious awe. A book of great austerity and great consolations.

§303: “I can only believe that someone else is in pain, but I know it if I am.”--Yes: one can make the decision to say “I believe he is in pain” instead of “He is in pain”. But that is all.--What looks like an explanation here, or like a statement about a mental process, is in truth an exchange of one expression for another which, while we are doing philosophy, seems the more appropriate one.
Just try—in a real case—to doubt someone else’s fear or pain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Philosophical Investigations.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by aparnica (new)

aparnica "just try- in a real case- to doubt someone else's fear of pain"- is this a quote from Sacher -Masoch?