Heidi's Reviews > The Gentle Art of Domesticity: Stitching, Baking, Nature, Art & the Comforts of Home

The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brocket

May 11, 09

Recommended to Heidi by: Holly O'Keefe
Read in May, 2009

Well, I really enjoyed this book--even though I had to read it one eyed! My sister recommended this book to me when I saw her at Easter. It's not a book about housekeeping and efficiency. It's all about enjoyment and making our homes more lovely--even more homey.

I enjoyed every single page of this book, and it inspired me with a ton of new ideas--both the author's and my own.

In the afterword, the author, Jane Brocket, pens these words: "I was wondering how to explain what I believe is the key to the gentle art of domesticity. For me it is recognition--recognition of the worth of homemaking, of overlooked skills, or ordinary things. Above all it is the recognition of the small but significant moments of pleasure that come with an acceptance and enjoyment of the domestic space. These are the moments that all too often go unnoticed in the general speed and melee of daily life. In order to enjoy domesticity, we need to cultivate a habit of stepping back every so often to pause and observe and enjoy, and to allow these moments to crystallize into lovely and long lasing prisms through which we can view and review our lives."

This is both a fun read but eye candy as well with the photographs throughout the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentle Art of Domesticity.