Kelly's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I can still remember when I bought this book. It was at a bookfair in middle school. It had just recently been released in paperback in the US and, on a whim, I decided to buy it. I was in middle of my Stephen King phase, though, and felt myself beyond children's books, and so it sat on my bookcase, unread. But then high school hit and after spending months of reading Dickens and Hawthorne, Harry Potter started looking more and more interesting. When I finally did read it, I was reminded of something that I had forgotten: the joy of getting lost in a really good story and the pleasure of staying up until the wee hours of the night reading it. Sometime during my early years of high school, reading had become a chore, something I had to rush to do between school and dance classes before the next assignment was due. Although, during that time, I never lost the love for reading, Harry Potter helped remind me of the sort of joy and love I felt for books as a child.

Over the years, this book (and the rest of the series) has become a sort of weird security object, in a way. This book, especially, has traveled everywhere with me: on vacations, to college, and even kept me calm in the waiting room when my mom was having surgery. And no matter how many times I re-read it, I still enjoy it just as much as I did the first time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Emily <3 <3 <3

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve It's always an unexpected pleasure when a book takes you away from the world for a while, and it's a special gem when it continues to do so on the second (or sixth) reading.