Kelly's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Sep 06, 10

bookshelves: children-s-literature, all-time-favorites, favorites
Read in July, 2007

God, I love this book. This was my third time reading it (first time since the summer of 2007 when it was first released). Reading it again brought back so many memories from July 2007: leaving work early and my supervisor shouting "only 12 more hours!" while I walked out; sitting in line at B&N for hours to get my wristband; wearing my Deathly Hallows t-shirt to the midnight party and making a fool out of myself; jumping up and down in line and screaming when the countdown started (yes, I was that girl); and then hardly sleeping the rest of the weekend while I laughed/cried through the entire book. For me, I can't imagine there ever being another story and characters that will captivate me for so many years. This was the perfect end to the perfect series. And the best part is knowing that even though the story is over, the books are always on the shelf, waiting to be read all over again.
1 like · likeflag

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve When the Harry Potter series first started to become popular, I tried to poo-poo it, thinking "How can something that popular be any good?" Though I was a full adult when I began reading them, the books brought back a lot of the joys and wonder of youth. Who wouldn't want to go to a school of magic and be surrounded by such fantastic creatures and characters? I remember the mixed feelings I had as the final book came out... the excitement to see what twists and turns, ups and downs would be revealed, but also the sadness of seeing an end, both to the stories and to the excitement that people shared.

Sadly enough, I feel that to a lesser degree right now, with every movie trailer and spoiler. Soon it really will be over, the final two parts of the movie series will be unveiled, and the excited anticipation will again disappear, at least until another new reader is introduced to the magic that is the Harry Potter books and movies.