Brandi Rae's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction, laugh-out-loud, science-fiction, favorites
Read in April, 2009

I decided recently at work that I need to brush up on my science fiction books for teens; it's a genre used as part their required summer reading and I've never been particularly good at recommending or describing them. I figured I might as well start with Hitchhiker's, I've had a copy of it floating around for as long as I can remember, and most people are appalled when they discover I have never read it.

And appalled they should be.

I absolutely loved this book and can not believe that it has taken me this long to finally read it! I'm not going to describe the whole plot in depth, most people are fairly familiar with it....Arthur Dent is saved by his friend Ford Prefect (who happens to be an extraterrestrial) in the last minute just before the earth blows up. The two then find themselves traveling the galaxy in search of answers to the universe's biggest questions, meeting strange and funny characters along the way.

This was funny and thought provoking at the same time, and I can not wait to read the next book in the series. That and I can finally let myself watch the movie, even though I know it will never be as good as the book!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin You should watch the BBC TV series instead of the big screen film from a few years ago. I do like the film but the original series is excellent.