Kevin's Reviews > Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business

Death by Meeting by Patrick Lencioni

May 04, 09

Read in April, 2009, read count: 1

I checked out the audiobook CDs from my library and finished listening to the book in less than a week. Overall it was compelling to listen to. The author's writing style is captivating in that he draws you into the fictional story of a company struggling to cross a threshold.

As far as content goes I'm not certain that I completely agree with his basic premise, that meetings are disliked by most people because they're boring and lack conflict. Maybe I'm getting caught up in semantics, but just because a meeting may have drama, conflict, and interactive brainstorming doesn't mean they will be productive. He compares meetings to movies & television shows, which has some interesting paralells.

His second concept I know he's nailed. That is that many meetings are bad because they lack proper contextualization. They become a stew of varying types of discussions with a wide-range of importance to the organization.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who is involved in a leadership position that requires you to have or facilitate meetings. It will be worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death by Meeting.