Alice's Reviews > Tales From the Clarke

Tales From the Clarke by John Scalzi

Feb 17, 13

bookshelves: 2013, audio, political, science-fiction, humor
Read in February, 2013

This is the fifth of thirteen installments in John Scalzi's serial novel, The Human Division. This one focuses on Captain Sophia Coloma, the captain whose rash selflessness saved the Colonial Union from a diplomatic incident.

Once again, the serial format works in the installment's favor, as a character we've only seen glimpses of comes front and center. Scalzi doesn't waste words telling us why we should root for her; he simply reminds us of what we've seen of her character so far, and reinforces it through her decisions and motivations. I found myself wishing we'd had more of her perspective, though the story so far doesn't justify such choices. She's resourceful, loyal, and quick-thinking.

I'm curious to see where all of this is going, or if Mike Wilson, the soldier at the center of most installments, is starting to see a pattern. We haven't yet seen where "http://alicethewriter.blogspot.com/2013/02/review-voice-in-wilderness-human.html" fits into all this, though it's clear there's some greater force at work, and it may not be to everyone's benefit.

We shall see.

I listened to the audio of this installment, once again. William Dufris, luckily, does not affect a falsetto to narrate female characters. They wind up sounding perhaps a bit tougher and more hardened than the author may have intended, but it works for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales From the Clarke.