Patrick's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Apr 11, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in April, 2010

This is very good. It requires a little more suspension of disbelief than most troubled future society books, which is actually saying something considering Hunger Games, Uglies, etc., but the characters and situations are wonderfully conceived inside of the slightly contrived world. To explain what I mean by contrived, there is absolutely no way the world would settle into a society that accepts unwinding. I think a tyranny or superficial society allowing child battles would be more plausible. (Though, if society somehow did come to that point, I think the concept of tithes is very interesting and actually might happen, even though this is one more book taking sideways swipes at religion.) The ending also resolves a little too easily after the climax (the three main characters being "safe" after what happened and the weird, weird, creepy party), but it's a small forgivable thing in such an interesting, compelling book.

I think the characters are great, especially the two main protagonists. The situations they get in are crazily intriguing and cliff-hanging. Awesome tension.

Especially for a young adult audience, I think the moral questions and shared humanity of characters with different worldviews are deep and worth spending time on. Highly recommended. There are violent themes, broken families, and one near rape handled well, so maybe for mature or slightly older YA readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.