Zara Aimaq's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Apr 02, 07

In another couple of months, I don't think there will be that many people left who have not read this book. And this novel is well-worth the hype. It's one of those books that leave you in this emotional trance for a while after completion, after which most other literature will pale in comparison.

The novel is about an Afgani guy named Amir, and it spans from his early childhood to about his mid-adulthood. The novel explores his friendship with a servant named Hassan, who as a member of the ethnic group Hazara, faces a great deal of prejudice and abuse. Hassan never wavers in his loyalty and love towards Amir, despite Amir's cruelty and lack of compassion towards him. The novel follows Amir and his father as they escape the Russian invasion and come to America, where they struggle to make ends meet, through some very pitiful but very real means. The story climaxes when Amir attempts to find redemption by going back to Afghanistan on a dangerous mission (I'll keep quiet about this part).

This novel is just very raw and bold, covering the range of human experience at its weakest, it's most repulsive, it's most humble, it's most terrifying, and finally, at it's most hopeful. I think this is the only story that's ever made me cry, and continues to leave it's mark in my heart.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.