Emily's Reviews > Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression

Down Came the Rain by Brooke Shields

F 50x66
Aug 30, 07

Read in August, 2007

When I first heard that Brooke Shields had suffered from postpartum depression, my heart went out to her. Just the hormones, alone, from having a baby can leave you on an emotional rollercoaster. That being said, I went into this book with a lot of sympathy. My attitude quickly changed. *Down Came the Rain* reads like a manual for how to have a baby. Aside from the fertility issues (if my own husband sneezes in the same room as me I get pregnant), I might have been reading excerpts from my OWN child birth experiences. Or my neighbor's. Or my friend's.
In my opinion, Ms. Shield's depression stems more from the fact that she is a spoiled princess who has been handed everything she's ever wanted on a silver platter. She describes the days in the hospital after her daughter's birth as "humiliating" and that she was "exhausted." Welcome to Motherhood! She's upset she had a c-section (well, I've had vaginal AND c-section and c-section is WAY better). She should just count her blessings that she didn't crap on the table while pushing out a baby.
I actually had to put the book down because I was so disgusted that Brooke felt the need to describe what every other mother in the world has been through, like it's new and exciting and terrible. It's all of those and none of those. Wake up, Brooke. It's the "Real World."
Perhaps being "ordinary" was just a slap in the face that she didn't see coming.
Oh God. Maybe Tom Cruise was right!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Down Came the Rain.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Kellie (new)

Kellie I am so sorry you took this spin. I am a middle class, hard-working woman who was also affected by PPD. Thankfully, you did not have to go through this terrible situation as so many have. I found her book thoughtful, helpful, and incredibly needed in today's society. It is your opinion and ideals behind this that cause women to feel bad and crazy and not get the help they so badly need. This is a very real thing and many women are suffering in silence for fear of being called a princess or worse. I admire Brooke Shields for putting her business out there in an effort to help women. I am sorry you saw this as an outlet for her to complain. Brooke's response to Tom Cruise is the same as mine to you, "I will assume that you have never gone through Post Partum Depression."

message 5: by Deena (new) - added it

Deena Scintilla Kelli, thank you for such a well-written, heartfelt and knowledgeable response. I, too, suffered from PPD and it was a lonely, scary place to be. Anyone who has had the experience will understand without judgement.

Spider the Doof Warrior Harsh dude... Just because someone is a rich famous actress doesn't mean her life is peaches and roses and cream and cherries.
Poor woman. I feel so bad for what she went through, even if she is rich and famous, who cares?
Plus she worked hard to get to where she was, since she was a baby. I don't think she just had stuff handed to her on a silver platter.

Jill Kellie, thank you for your comment. I could not have said it better myself.

Ashlee I'm right there with you Kellie. Having history of depression and trouble breastfeeding having an emergency c-section like Brooke did made motherhood a very scary and undesirable place for me. I too felt no connection or bond to my sweet girl for nearly two months. I hated myself.

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Huff neff Kellie, nailed it! And, I too went through years and years of infertility treatments, so it was like reading a book about my own experience. I applaud Brooke for having the guts to admit what I feel is like a "dirty little secret" in motherhood. I personally worked years and years, suffered multiple failures at getting pregnant, and then when the babies were born (twins), I couldn't understand why I couldn't stop crying. This was supposed to be the happiest time in my life, right? I worked so hard to obtain this goal, right? I loved these babies so much, but I cried and cried and was terrified I might hurt them or myself....irrational, but real in my mind. Thank God for professionals who helped me through it. It took over a year to get "right" again, but I did and I'm so grateful. I love my children with every fiber of my being, but it happened. So, congrats Ms. Shields for speaking about many of realities.

And, btw, if you haven't gone through this, good for you, but support other women who have. Don't chastise them. Don't make them afraid to be open about it. Treatment saved me and I'm sure millions of others. Why are some women so hard on other women!? We need to unite and become stronger.