Pete daPixie's Reviews > The Mammoth Book of Storms, Shipwrecks and Sea Disasters: Over 40 First-Hand Accounts of Peril on the High Seas, from the Wreck of the Medusa to the Perfect Storm

The Mammoth Book of Storms, Shipwrecks and Sea Disasters by Richard Russell Lawrence

May 01, 09

bookshelves: upon-the-briney-deep
Read in May, 2009

Wow...this really is a Mammoth. I wasn't sure I was going to finish this one, but it got better the more I sailed into it.
Here is a collection of marine horror stories through the ages, from St Paul's Malta wreck, the Spanish Armada's battering, the excellent account of Owen Chase's whaling ship 'Essex', the Royal Charter Storm, the Titanic, Maurice and Maralyn Bailey's 117 days adrift, the Torrey Canyon, Exxon Valdez, Kursk and, as they say, many, many more.
Some of these accounts are quite detailed, a few chapters length in a 'normal' book. Some are just a page or two, but definitely a Mammoth collection.
Other titles in this series, The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories, or The Mammoth Book of Oddballs and Eccentrics....or how about The Mammoth Book of Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n Roll!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mammoth Book of Storms, Shipwrecks and Sea Disasters.

04/27/2009 page 61