Hayes's Reviews > When We Were Orphans

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Recommended for: Gahan is next
Read in April, 2011

Mixed.

Loved the beginning which talks about the main character's childhood in Shanghai. Then the parents disappear. And the story went on too long*. And by the time it had got to where it was going I had lost interest. And while I had not figured out exactly what had happened, I had figured out whodunnit, which is always annoying, especially as I don't ever work too hard at it. I don't think it's supposed to be a surprise, really. But it's still annoying.

The prose was lovely most of the time. The story is told through a series of flashbacks, and flashbacks within flashbacks; the story spirals forward ever so teasingly slowly. It is very well done and makes the beginning of the book a real winner, but it begins to feel like a wild goose chase and becomes tiresome towards the middle.

* So what else is new? Most books go on too long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Were Orphans.

03/30/2011 page 20
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☯Bettie☯ Ah-hah! I see I must have this on audio in one of the storage units; a little rooting around this evening might bring it to light then I can join you.

:O)

Hayes I'm just at the beginning and I'm loving it. I love Ishiguro's language.

message 3: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Ooh, I have loads of Ishiguro books... yet I've only read one (The Unconsoled - weird) but his language is beautiful. I really must read another of his. I think I'd have enjoyed The Unconsoled a lot more now, rather then when I did read it.

message 4: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona I have this one too and been looking forward to it - got it off Bookmooch though and it stinks of smoke.

Hayes Ew.... leave it out in the sun for a bit.

message 6: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Or in the rain, as it is today in murky old England. ;)

Hayes Here too... hail and thunderstorms in sunny Italy.

☯Bettie☯ How are you finding it Hayes?

Hayes It has such a strange atmosphere, and the spirally slow teasing way of moving the story forward. I really like it.

☯Bettie☯ What is your most enjoyable current read?

☯Bettie☯ Hayes wrote: "It has such a strange atmosphere, and the spirally slow teasing way of moving the story forward. I really like it."

I'll keep at it then
:O)

Hayes I would find it confusing as an audio, what with all the back flashes. how are you making out?

Hayes Bettie wrote: "What is your most enjoyable current read?"

This one and Daughter of Fortune are both good. Had to give up on The Brothers. Loved Anna K., but I don't think Dostoevsky is for me.

☯Bettie☯ I didn't really see you as a D gal, or as going for any Russian stuff with any zeal, you need warmer themes. I have some corkers on the go at the moment:

Hunting Midnight
Angle of Repose
One of Our Thursdays is Missing
The Tiger's WifeThe Little Ottleys
The Little Ottleys

Two of these I can see you enjoying: The Little Ottleys and Angle of Repose. The Allende looks very tasty indeed and sort of matches in with Angle of Repose theme.

Have a lovely day and hope your chores are of the enjoyable sort

Hayes Bettie wrote: "The Allende looks very tasty indeed..."

Innerested?

☯Bettie☯ Hayes wrote: "Bettie wrote: "The Allende looks very tasty indeed..."

Innerested?"

Yes please!

message 17: by CeeAnne (new)

CeeAnne Hayes, I appreciate your review (and the timing of it) because I was just considering this book. I will put it off at least.