Jacki's Reviews > A Wedding in December

A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve

Apr 23, 09

Read in April, 2009

Well I bought this thinking it would be my tie-breaker for Anita Shreve. I've read two book by her that I enjoyed and two that I flat out hated. I won't be reading Anita Shreve anymore.

After the first 100 pages or so, I started just skimming the 'story-within-a-story' parts of the book. For me, this made it much, much better. I didn't really get the point of including this story.

The other thing that I hated was the whole, overall message. She should have included one couple who was at least semi-happy who hadn't gotten where they are through infidelity. I hated how the idea of infidelity was approached with the idea that if you are happier in your affair than your marriage then it's ok. As long as you're 'in love'. Puh-lease.

I'm over this book. Yuck.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wedding in December.

Christina (Boupie) I am so sorry you read this!!! I hated it and I wish you hadn't been forced to read it. The muliple stories and the different angles... not so fun. And the climax was a bit.... anti-clmatic, no?

Apparently, she had started writing this before she became big and then came back and finished it quickly to send to her publishers. Bad idea.

Jessica (booneybear) I have read two Anita Shreve books and was not happy about either of them. I just can't grasp her writing style. I love the ideas behind her books, I just don't love her books.

Jacki I agree, that's why I keep buying her books then kicking myself for it. The premise is always good, but her writing is just.... kind of awful.

Mostly what kills me is that she leans towards dialogue heavy books, which I'm fine with-- except it seems like she's never had a conversation in real life. How everyone talks just grates on my nerves because it is so, so unrealistic.

Virginia After reading Fortune's Rocks, I said never again. I should have listened to myself.