Heather's Reviews > The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

Apr 20, 2009

bookshelves: favorites, own, middle-grade
Read in May, 2009 , read count: 1

I have a new favorite childrens book! This was such a good story! My 8 year old son and I were both completely entranced by it. Kate DiCamillo sure knows how to tell a story. Her writing was just fantastic. I loved how she would address the Reader directly in the story and ask us questions, introduce us to new words, and give us insight into the hearts and natures of the characters.

I think what appealed to me most were all the wonderful lessons at the heart of the story. Things that every human being needs to know, like, how every action has consequences, the power of love and hope, and the importance of forgiveness.

The story has a sweetness to it that tugged on my heartstrings. But there were also moments that were sad and made my heart hurt. This is a wonderful book to share with children and one that will be read over and over here at our house.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tale of Despereaux.

Quotes Heather Liked

Kate DiCamillo
“Despereaux looked at his father, at his grey-streaked fur and trembling whiskers and his front paws clasped together in front of his heart, and he felt suddenly as if his own heart would break in two. His father looked so small, so sad.
"Forgive me," said Lester again.
Forgiveness, reader, is, I think, something very much like hope and love - a powerful, wonderful thing.
And a ridiculous thing, too.
Isn't it ridiculous, after all, to think that a son could forgive his father for beating the drum that sent him to his death? Isn't it ridiculous to think that a mouse ever could forgive anyone for such perfidy?
But still, here are the words Despereaux Tilling spoke to his father. He said, "I forgive you, Pa."
And he said those words because he sensed it was the only way to save his own heart, to stop it from breaking in two. Despereaux, reader, spoke those words to save himself.”
Kate DiCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux

04/30/2009 page 103
05/03/2009 "I'm starting over on this one so I can use it for the YA challenge."
11/28/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle This is a great book, Heather! I haven't heard anything good about the movie though, have you? If you liked this one, check out The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, it's got a similar feel. I'm a sucker for these kinds of really really excellent children's books. Doesn't matter how old I get!

Heather I loved the movie, Michelle! Although, they did change some things from the book and I'm not quite sure why they did. I saw the movie first, and that's what prompted me to read the book. I thought the animation was beautiful. The colors they used had this really soft feel about them, as did the style. Personally, I think if you enjoyed the book, and you enjoy computer animated films, that it is definitely worth watching.

I added Edward Tulane to my TBR yesterday after I finished up Despereaux :)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Well, I'll check out the movie then, thanks! I'm really enjoying the Wild Things YA book club by the way!

Heather I'm really enjoying it too! I'm going to try doing the challenge, my first one. I don't know if I'll be able to get through all those books, but I'm gonna give it a try. How about you? Are you going to give it a go?

Laura I loved your review Heather, and I loved this book. Thanks for recommending it!

Heather I'm so happy you enjoyed it, Laura!!!

Laura I didn't realize I'd read this twice already, but I'm wondering if I should read it again. Thanks so much for recommending it. The audio was wonderful! Have you listened to it yet?

Heather You can't go wrong with this IMO. Fantastic story. No, I sure haven't listened to the audio for it. I need to do that next time I read it. Glad to hear it's good. I did get the audio for The Magician's Elephant by her the other day when it was on sale. She's a gem! :)

Laura :)))