AdultNonFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries

Lost At Sea by Jon Ronson

Jun 10, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: current-events, true-crime, humor
Read in June, 2015

TL Call#: 306 Ronson J

Madeleine - 2 stars
I normally love me some Jon Ronson, see my review of the Psychopath Test. Only his shtick doesn't work so well in short format. What I found engaging in long form just felt snarky and fatiguing in shorter length. Perhaps he has to more obviously get his "dig" in fast in the tighter word count and it comes off as grating. After reading multiple stories that are on the face different, I felt exhausted towards the end. However different the dressing it was still the same pig in lipstick that Ronson was going to snickeringly reveal in collusion with the reader. Aren’t we clever (and better)?

Marisa's rating: 4 stars
It's a good sign of a great writer when it doesn't really matter to the reader the subject they are writing covering. Jon Ronson's fantastic "Lost at Sea" explores varying non-fiction stories from the disappearance of a crew member on a Disney cruise ship, psychics, the wealth gap, credit card predatory practices and the new popularity of Christianity in Britain. At first, it seems like these stories are disconnected, but the through line is Ronson. His writing is both narrative, investigative,humorous and respectful. He asks his subjects questions with a genuine curiosity! I sped through this read and would recommend to anyone looking to know more about the world and all it's interesting inhabitants.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost At Sea.