Bob's Reviews > What to Eat

What to Eat by Marion Nestle

May 11, 09

Read in May, 2009

Let me start by saying that this book is fantastic. It's everything you ever wanted to know about food, broken down by category. It falls somewhere between a reference book and an exploration of an entire diet. I'm sure I'll return to it again and again, probably jumping to any given section which I need information about. As Michael Pollan says on the cover, it's "indispensable" if you want good solid general knowledge about what you eat.

Now, my complaints. First off, if I met this author at a party, I surely would be annoyed by her and find someone else to talk to. Her condescending view at the world and people (and their choices) is at times really irritating. Luckily, this attitude doesn't make her any less right when she relays a point. At times, I just had to remind myself to separate the excellent knowledge from the fairly annoying person (and attitude) sharing it.

Second, this probably should have been called "What NOT to Eat". This book really doesn't tell you what to eat...it more or less spends it's entirety ranting about the food industry and the habits of fat Americans (rightly so, but still...doing this alone is not helpful and not respectful). She manages to find something wrong with EVERYTHING in the grocery store, including fresh fruits and vegetables. It was like talking to one of those people that's always got something negative to say...after a while it wears thin.

So, when all was said and done, I'm glad I read it for the great information. I just wish the author showed more respect and wasn't so flippant, sarcastic, unprofessional, and disrespectful of those she was critiquing. It would have gone a long way to helping me respect her as well as her message.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What to Eat.