Deborah Palmer's Reviews > Black Skin, White Masks

Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon

2119968
May 25, 09

Read in February, 2009

Excellent book. Some say his books are difficult to read but despite some of the medical/psychiatric termingologies he was always on point and what he writes is still relevant in today's world. He is a fantastic writer whose analogies and stories resonant with the 21st century reader.

Surprisingly I read Black Skin White Masks in two days. I had heard that this was a difficult book to read and understand but I did not have any trouble with it. Mr. Fanon did use plenty of medical terminologies however they could be understood within the context of the sentence. I did wish that Mr. Fanon had gone more into why certain African Americans were Expatriates in Paris during the 1920s to the 1950s. If France was so racist and biased as he state in his book why would Josephine Baker, Langston Hughes, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, Miles Davis and Charlie Parker choose to live there. I also wished he had included his thoughts on The Harlem Renaissance and writer Zora Neale Hurston.

This is and was a great book. Even though he discussed the effects of racism in regards to his native land of Martinique we Mr. Fanon has to say still resounds in today's so-called PC world.

I do wish he had lived long enough to see Barack Obama elected President of the United States. I would have loved to hear his take on that. The only aspect I found missing from this book is his opinion on Black American ex-patriots living in France. James Baldwin, Richard Wright, Josephine Baker.... Did these African-Americans living in Paris not realize the effect of colonolism on all Africans in the Diaspora?, or were they treated as "Honorary Whites" in France. I truly wish Frantz Fanon had explored that entire subject.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Skin, White Masks.