Jon's Reviews > Green Eggs and Ham

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

M 50x66
Apr 20, 09

bookshelves: hildy-books

A major disappointment after the Seuss masterpiece "The Cat in the Hat." Not much going on here except some clever wordplay. Plot and character development need major work. All in all, who does Seuss think he's kidding with this phoned-in, dashed off attempt at cashing in on his considerable brand name? Seuss - get real! If you cannot dig deeper into your bag of tricks, then it's time to focus on your day job as a healthcare professional.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Eggs and Ham.

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe I really think you need to reconsider your issues with this post-modern masterpiece with a re-reading that considers the influence of both Sartre and especially Roland Barthes on Dr. Seuss. On an interesting note, the Barthes influenced critique of bourgeois society using green foodstuffs was co-opted in 2000 by a product marketing executive at Heinz ketchup who was also under the heavy influence of Barthes. The product was discontinued in 2006 when the marketing department renounced Barthes and fell under the influence of Dostoyevsky.

message 10: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon I think those who subscribe to the Barthes-Seuss connection flaunt their ignorance. If anything, Seuss's nihilism, as evidenced in the superior "Hat," borrows heavily from Nietzsche, and to a lesser degree, David Lee Roth.

Good day to you, sir!

message 9: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe How do you account for Seuss' implicit anti-semitic subtext in "Hat", with the comically large noses of his characters, the "Hat" clearly representing a Kippah? Surely a closer reading of Jean-Francois Lyotard's commentary on "Hat" in the original French will make the transubstantiation of David Lee Roth into Sammy Hagar more clear for you.

message 8: by Derek (new)

Derek Actually, my sources tell me that the title was changed from 'Fez' to 'Hat' to be more sensitive to the situation in a war torn North Africa and also considerable pressure from the Shriners who didn't want to have to add felt stripes to over 50,000 Fez and and Fez related products.

message 7: by David (new)

David price I think Jesse Jackson provided the clearest interpretation of this text.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxPci...

Clearly, the fine Dr.Suess is presenting an allegory of the African Diaspora, the slave experience and the modern Christianity all wrapped up in a trim volume.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

wow u guys are weird are not making since. but u know that okay

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Brilliant! This conversation, nay, this clashing of of intellectual titans of cyclopean hath made my day. Bravo indeed! Oh ho ho HO!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I must ask forgiveness of you, gentlemen, for I hath forgotten to include the word "magnitude" following the descriptor "cyclopean" in my previous posting. Ahoy hoy!

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey this was written in response to his publishers challenge that he couldn't write a book using the same fifty words. voila, green eggs and ham gentleman.

message 2: by Toni (new)

Toni Marshall Never seen anyone that doesn't like Dr. Seuss....
Yo really are something bro!!!

message 1: by Alex (new)