Sandy's Reviews > What I Know for Sure: My Story of Growing Up in America

What I Know for Sure by Tavis Smiley

Apr 20, 2009

BETTER THAN ANY SELF-HELP BOOK OUT THERE--BUY THIS BOOK!

I'm a big fan of Tavis Smiley's TV program. I love his combination of intelligence, courage and kindness when he interviews guests. So when I saw this book, I bought it. Wow! What a read. This book is the story of Tavis' life, so far, as told by Tavis. A mid-life memoir? I'm a couple chapters short of finishing it, but the book is so inspirational that I HAD to get up and write this review before I could do anything else. Seeing that well dressed, debonair, beautiful man on TV, I would never guess what his background was. (Except for the church part--that shows.) This book is like sitting down and having a chat with Tavis in your living room. He is absolutely frank about his successes and failures, triumphs and humiliations. He moved my soul. Hearing about his depression when his career was stalled, and how it got un-stalled had me jumping up and down. I'm working on my own writing career and reading about what Tavis went through gave me hope. Tavis' story is a testimonial to what a socially conscious, God-centered life can be. Tavis' spirit roars like a freight train. I urge you to read this if you're facing challenges. It is an inspiration. Now to get back to work on my own life! I'm going to read his other books ASAP. Go, Tavis!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Know for Sure.