Julie's Reviews > Rage

Rage by Richard Bachman

Apr 23, 09

Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** If I could, I would give this book 3.5 stars. It was better than Running Man, but not as good as the Long Walk, in my opinion.

The best part about this book is the real plot. Not the school shooting aspect (it bothers me to hear people compare this to Columbine), but the complex relationships that are broken and built within the classroom after Charlie's taken over. The violence is essentially over within the first few chapters. This is not what Columbine was about. Columbine was two kids killing other kids. Not killing teachers, then trying to connect with and reteach fellow students.

King's look Charlie's evolution as a young adult is fascinating, even if my inner psychology major is cringing at the obviousness of his Oedipus complex.

I sort of felt like the big climax of the novel, when Ted Jones was attacked by his classmates, came on too suddenly. Maybe this is because I picked up the book at that part, so didn't have enough lead-up time. But for the kids to just stand up and attack him, unprovoked? It would have been more believable and almost forgivable to do it after his outburst at Sandra Cross and her sexual episodes. Don't get me wrong, I think Ted's situation was integral and a great way to finish the book, but the build-up just wasn't right.

Overall, another good Stephen King/Richard Bachman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rage.