Kelly's Reviews > The Unquiet Bones

The Unquiet Bones by Mel Starr

Apr 26, 09

Read in April, 2009

When I first opened Mel Starr's The Unquiet Bones I was immediately drawn in by the cover. I had never seen an ancient prostheses. I'll tell you, THAT is by far one of the coolest covers I have ever seen. I was a bit concerned when I opened the book and saw a fairly extensive Glossary. My concern was that I was going to be turning back and forth from the story to the glossary throughout the book. I have never quite known how to handle a glossary. Do I read it first, or do I just dive into the story. My choice...browse through the glossary first so if something comes up, I know that I can jump over if necessary.

The Unquiet Bones is an excellent medical mystery set in the 14th century. The book chronicles Hugh de Singleton's life as a student and then surgeon. I was thrilled with how completely thorough the research was on this book and locale. I could easily see with my mind the villiages, castle grounds, and even the cess pit area which brings our mystery into play.

Hugh de Singleton is perfectly likeable and believable. I have never enjoyed a historical tale so much, and to find that it is just the beginning of a series is so promising. This is a book that will tantalize you in the mystery, the locale, and the humor. If you like historical fiction and in particular Medieval fiction with mystery, you will not be disappointed. Any fan of fiction should enjoy this. This one kept me guessing where others have not. I think Mel Starr has completely knocked this one out of the park!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unquiet Bones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☯Bettie☯ Twice you have typed 'unquite'

;O)

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Apr 26, 2009 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "Twice you have typed 'unquite'

;O)"

Thanks that is what I get for letting my fingers do the typing while my mind is caught up in just how much I enjoyed the book