Rachel's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Apr 20, 09

** spoiler alert ** This is where I stopped reading the Harry Potter series. I kept up with the happenings enough to know who died and how by the end, but overall, this book sealed my opinion of Rowling and the books she was churning out.

This book read like marshmallow fluff cranked out by a money-hungry layabout. There was no substance, Harry was an emotional turd for the entire book (including PAGES of him YELLING IN ALL CAPS AT HIS FRIENDS BECAUSE THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HIM WAAAAAH), and then there was the "villain" that had to actually TRY to be more annoying than Harry himself for the whole book.

She was, of course, but that's not really an accomplishment. And neither was this installment of the HP.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Lexie Ok that's pushing the limit. I am the biggest HP fan EVER!!!!!!!!!

Rachel I've matured as a person since writing this. ;) I respect the Harry Potter franchise more than this post lets on, but OOtP was still really obnoxious to me. I plan to give them all another read-through, though.

message 3: by Karli (new) - added it

Karli I'm not done with this book yet, but I agree so far. It's just annoying how Harry is angry with everyone all the time. Same with the other character.

Ciara *I love Harry Potter!* J.K is my favourite author and Harry Potter is my favourite series/films.
Theres more to consider than just Harry yelling. What about the death of Sirius?
So what if Harry was emotional, it's only fair.
This is all leading up to the last book, final installment, whichever you want to call it, and every detail in essentail. If youve read Deathly Hallows, you'll realise a bit of Voldemort lives in Harry, and that really showed in this book and brought the option to light.
I disagree 100 per cent.

message 5: by Renuka (new) - added it

Renuka I am actually reading this book right now. I'm on the first chapter, it isn't so interesting but I will keep reading and see if it gets better.

Emilymaingi JK Rowling used the caps for a rhetoric effect. By using those caps, she emphasized how angry Harry was with his two best friends in the world. At first, I was like, oh, that's weird. But think about it: if you're locked up with people who hate you for two months, and your best friends don't tell you anything, you would have the same emotions. This was definitely my least favorite book, but I still liked it.

Voldemort No this is still the best book in the world! I actually like how JK Rowling used the caps (even though it might be hard to read) so she can express Harry's emotions well. Imagine if your friends act in secret without telling you what they were doing while you're stuck with a bunch of people including your neighbors who dislike you greatly. And Harry just has a bad temper, that's all. JK Rowling uses this book to make the series darker and to show us how Harry is changing from a bullied eleven-year-old orphan to a frustrated, more mature teenager.
After all, this is a wonderful book, and well, it's better than all the books I've read. (like Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, etc good books)

Chloe Vich Garcia I don't think this a good review because while the book was a little slow paced at first due to teenager problems, which is completely natural, I mean everyone hits emotional times in their life, this book was still great. Then the action starts picking up by the end. So basically, I completely disagree with this review.

Sasha Curtis If people read the books thoroughly everything would make sense and then you would understand why harry yells.

Megan Caro Hey! Harry is 15 years old in this book. Give him a break! Lol. I think a lot of people forget how they are going through the worst years of their lives and having to save the world at the same time. Teen hood is no picnic in the park.

WitherMisteri We can't all say that we've been "the perfect goodie goodie teenager."
I mean, we all had our moments when we were teens and when we were SO frustrated at our parents on some occasions. If you can't at least comprehend that Rowling knows and very well writes what it's like to be a teen with anger, then I don't know what to give you. All I have to say is that you should at least sympathize in a "teenage" way. Or you could do some decent study and find out that it's all a part of the natural cycle when we are going into adulthood.

message 12: by ELIZABETH DURAN (new)

ELIZABETH DURAN Dream about me and frozen yogurt is my favorite things to go out what you doing today is the best of my knowledge that is a good news

Hazim Ahmed Agree with Either I, I thought it was perfectly reasonable considering he had hit 15 and the kind of behavior he exhibited was what you would expect from someone in his situation. Its these kind of things that make this series a great read.

Just stop for a moment and think about the tone of the first book.
And then think about the seventh one.

The writing style of the book matures, along with the characters.

I thought this book was probably the strongest one in the series, particularly due to greater focus on the secondary characters with the introduction of the Order and the DA.